Redressal of investor grievances through SCORES Platform
Redressal of investor grievances through the SEBI Complaint Redressal (SCORES) Platform and linking it to Online Dispute Resolution platform.
- SEBI Complaint Redressal System (SCORES) is a centralised web based complaint redressal facilitation platform launched in 2011 vide circular dated June 3, 2011 (bearing reference number CIR/OIAE/2/2011) to provide a facilitative platform for the benefit of the aggrieved investors, whose grievances against (a) listed company, (b) registered intermediary or(c) market infrastructure institution (“Entities”) remain unresolved. Since then, SEBI has revised and strengthened the process of facilitating the redressal of grievances by such Entities. Currently, the process of investor grievances redressal on SCORES is governed by the Master Circular dated November 07, 2022 on “Processing of investor complaints against listed companies in SEBI Complaints Redress System –SCORES” (bearing reference SEBI/HO/OIAE/IGRD/P/CIR/2022 /0150).
- In order to strengthen the existing investor grievance handling mechanism through SCORES by making the entire redressal process of grievances in the securities market comprehensive by providing a solution that makes the process more efficient by reducing timelines and by introducing auto-routing and auto-escalation of complaint, SEBI notified the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Facilitation of Grievance Redressal Mechanism) (Amendment) Regulations, 2023 and amended the regulations as mentioned under ‘Schedule I’vide notification dated August 16, 2023. Consequently, it becomes necessary to revise the extant process for redressal of investors’ grievances against Entities and provide for a mechanism through which Designated Bodies (as specified in ‘Schedule II’) may monitor the process of the redressal of investors’ grievances by Entities.
- The revised framework for handling of complaints received through SCORES platform for Entities and for monitoring the complaints by designated bodies is specified in ‘Annexure I’to this circular. A pictographic representation of the process is also set out in ‘Schedule III’.
- The other general provisions applicable to all Entities concerning SCORES portal are at ‘Annexure II’.
- Implementation of this circular:
5.1.Notwithstanding anything contained in this circular or any other circular, the Entities shall, submit the Action Taken Report (“ATR”) to SEBI within 21 calendar days from the date of receipt of the complaint.
5.2.Theprovisions of this circular related to work flow of processing of investor grievances by Entities and framework for monitoring and handling of investor complaints by the Designated Bodies shall come into force with effect from December 04, 2023.
5.3.The designated bodies referred to in the Schedule II (“Designated Bodies”) may apply for SCORES Authentication and/or for Application Programming Interface (API) integration as per Annexure 1 within such period so as to ensure that Designated Bodies can comply with provisions of this circular by December 04, 2023 and onwards.
- This Circular shall rescind the Master Circular SEBI/HO/OIAE/IGRD/P/CIR/2022/0150 dated November 07, 2022 above with effect from December 04, 2023.
- Notwithstanding such rescission,
7.1. anything done or any action taken or purported to have been done or taken under the rescinded circulars, prior to such rescission, shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of this Circular;
7.2. the previous operation of the rescinded circulars or anything duly done or suffered thereunder, any right, privilege, obligation or liability acquired, accrued or incurred under the rescinded circulars, any penalty, incurred in respect of any violation committed against the rescinded circulars, or any investigation, legal proceeding or remedy in respect of any such right, privilege, obligation, liability, penalty as aforesaid, shall remain unaffected as if the rescinded circulars has never been rescinded.
- All the Entities and Designated Bodies shall comply with this Circular. Market Infrastructure Institutions and Designated Bodies shall bring the provisions of this Circular to the notice of all listed companies and registered intermediaries, and disseminate the same on their respective websites.
- This Circular is issued in exercise of powers conferred under Section 11(1) of the Securities and Exchange Board of India Act, 1992 to protect the interests of investors in securities and to promote the development of, and to regulate the securities market.
Read More on SEBI